Westchester Hills Golf Club Unveils New Rees Jones Redesign
Westchester Hills Golf Club in White Plains, New York recently completed a $3.5 million golf course renovation by famed architect Rees Jones. The newly redesigned golf course is already receiving rave reviews from members, guests and Westchester County locals. In addition, the 109-year-old club also completed a $1 million pool renovation focused on providing a resort-style setting for members to “vacation at the club.”
Golf course renovations, which began in October 2021, touched on multiple areas of the course to add functionality and visual aesthetics. Greens, fairways and chipping areas were all expanded, new tees were added and all bunkers were renovated. Jones’ enhancements to the original 1913, Peter Clark-designed golf course specifically include:
- Added 20,000 sq. ft. of green expansions
- Added 50,000 sq. ft. of chipping expansions
- Added 30,000 sq. ft. of fairway expansions
- Installed XGD drainage in all greens
- Upgraded and renovated all bunkers with new sand and capillary concrete drainage
- Installed 10 acres of new sod throughout the course
- Installed a brand new irrigation system, consisting of 12 miles of pipe, 1,250 sprinkler heads and 54 quick connects
The project commenced with the addition of a new Rees Jones-designed practice putting green area. The 6,700-square foot practice green is surrounded by quaint fire pits, along with farm fencing, a subtle nod to the club’s Gedney Farms history. These subtle details are sure to enhance summer evenings for members and guests. Additional club enhancements made over the last several months, include:
- Installed a new 15 ft. clock to welcome members and guest upon arrival
- Renovated pool area to mimic a resort-style experience, including:
- Enhanced club curb appeal and welcome touches through horticulture and landscape renovations
- Believing in the ultimate success of the club and renovations, Westchester Hills gained 186 new members in the last 20 months, to reach its all-time high in full member equivalents.
- Additions of multiple patio sun decks, bars and cabanas
- Added new chaise lounges around pool
“The membership at Westchester Hills is thrilled to see the completed result at our club,” said Mark Stagg, Club President. “With so much going on at the Club including a pool renovation, elevated dining experiences, and significant membership growth, the course redesign is the finishing touch to achieving member satisfaction for years to come.”
Known as “The Open Doctor” for his design work on courses in preparation for hosting major championships, Jones was excited to unveil the finished product at Westchester Hills Golf Club. The new features transformed the bones of the golf course and improved the everyday golf experience with influence from Jones’ notable designs worldwide.
“Our design was to liven a classic-style golf course while upgrading the course’s playability and maintenance standards,” said Jones. “The members at Westchester Hills strive for excellence and we are proud to be included in their success. We fully expect the golf course’s new features to take the Hills golf experience to a new level in the private club community.”
To date, Rees Jones has worked on seven U.S. Open venues (selected to host 14 championships), nine PGA Championship venues (hosting 11 championships), six Ryder Cup venues, two Walker Cup courses and one Presidents Cup. Among Jones’ most notable original designs or redesigns are Atlanta Athletic Club (Ga.), Atlantic Golf Club (N.Y.), Baltusrol Golf Club- Lower and Upper Course (N.J.), Bethpage State Park- Black Course (N.Y.), Congressional Country Club-Blue Course (Md.), Nantucket Golf Club (Mass.), Torrey Pines Golf Course- South Course (Calif.) and East Lake Golf Club (Ga.).
“Finishing this project has been momentous for the Club,” said General Manager, Josh Lowney. “The members graciously allowed and applauded the work over the last few months and the finished product has generated enormous excitement for our membership and throughout the Westchester county golf community.”
Westchester Hills Golf Club is managed by Troon Privé, the private club operating division of Troon, the world’s largest golf management company. As a Troon Privé-managed club, Westchester Hills’ members are automatically enrolled in the Troon Privé Privileges program, which delivers extraordinary golf and lifestyle benefits as well as reciprocal play at other Troon Privé- managed private clubs around the world.