Client Course Description
“Montclair” is generally considered to be the 13th oldest golf club in America. In 1920, the legendary Scottish architect Donald Ross was commissioned to design the 27 holes of the first, second and third nines. Two years later, the original clubhouse was destroyed by fire. A new, larger building was constructed facing Prospect Avenue which remains as the core building of the current Colonial style clubhouse. By October 1928, the club had acquired enough land to add a fourth nine, which was designed by Charles Banks. The original designs have been improved over the years by the work of two of Montclair’s most recognized members of the golf community. Robert Trent Jones joined Montclair in the late 30’s and remained a member until his death. His son Rees Jones, “The U.S. Open Doctor,” learned the game on the Donald Ross and Charles Banks designs.
We are currently underway with rebuilding all existing fairway & greenside bunkers, regrassing the existing green complexes, installing internal green drainage in the original push-up greens and will rebuild 4 greens in a similar style to increase pin locations, along with some minor tee modification and drainage improvements. The master plan will be “phased by nines” to accommodate membership funding and playing needs.